Internet Banking Security Information
As a locally-owned community bank, we understand the importance of protecting the personal information of our friends and neighbors who count on us for your banking services. With our Online Banking service, NetTeller, you can be confident that your accounts with Citizens Bank are secure. In your partnership with us, there are key elements we use to protect you from becoming a victim of fraud.
How We Protect You
- We provide a user ID and initial password that you will be prompted to change when you sign-in for the first time.
- You will also be asked to establish a sitekey (picture ID you choose) and also set-up challenge questions that will be used to verify your identity should you attempt to log-in from a different computer (another IP address) or anything appears suspicious. If, at log-in, you cannot confirm your sitekey, do not continue. Also, if this 2nd level of security cannot be authenticated, your online access will be blocked until a bank employee can verify your identity and reset your service.
- Passwords are simple to remember but must be changed every 12 months. Also, you cannot use the same password that has been used the previous 4 times. Even though this may seem inconvenient at times, fraudsters are less likely to be able to use your password if you change it often.
- Our Online Banking system will send a message to verify you are still using the system after 10 minutes of inactivity. If you do not give an affirmative response, you will be automatically logged off. This is to keep someone else from accessing your accounts if you are away from your computer or fail to log off.
- During any transaction, we require 128-bit encryption to make your information nearly impossible to decipher should someone intercept the transmission. When signed on to NetTeller you should see several items that assure you are on our secure site: https:// (the “s” means secure) and a “closed lock” symbol followed by Jack Henry & Associates, who is our partner in providing a secure webpage.
- Citizens Bank of Americus will never call or send emails asking you to verify any of your personal information. This includes account numbers, passwords, social security numbers, PINs, or any other confidential information.
Your Responsibilities - to ensure a secure online banking experience:
- Review your account statement on a regular basis and promptly report any suspicious or fraudulent activity. Consumers and small business customers (who operate under a consumer type of account) have 60 days from the date of the 1st statement where the problem or error occurred to report any unauthorized activity in order to receive a refund. We will credit you for funds transferred from your accounts up to the amount of your loss when you notify us within the 60 day period. If you do not notify us within the 60 days, you will not receive a refund. Additionally, we will credit you for any bank fees resulting from the error. PLEASE NOTE: Business customers have only 24 hrs. to report any unauthorized activity in order to be guaranteed a refund.
- Protect your account information and password by:
- Never sharing them with others. If you share this information with someone, all transactions they initiate with the information are considered to be authorized by you, even for transactions you did not intend for them to make.
- Signing off when your transactions are complete. Do not close down your browser without properly signing off.
- Not using public computers for banking activities. If you must, be sure to delete your personal information from the cache memory of the computer.
- Being aware of suspicious emails or unfamiliar websites
- Limiting your online shopping to companies you know and trust
- Registering for SecureCode by Mastercard, a free service that protects your debit card from unauthorized use when you shop online
- Make sure your web-browser, anti-virus and anti-spyware software are up to date. Our systems require you to use a minimum of Internet Explorer 8.0 or Safari 5.1.7 and higher; Firefox 11 and higher; Chrome 24.01312.45 beta-m and higher in order to successfully access your online banking. In addition, we recommend our Business Customers perform a risk assessment and implement more controls based on your particular needs. Typically businesses have multiple people who have the ability to access their online banking services, which potentially exposes them to a greater risk of fraud. Limiting access and implementing dual control of log-in information might help to lower the risk.
If you notice any fraudulent activity in your account, or just need to contact us for any reason, please call us at 229-924-4011 or send a secure message via your online banking service. If it’s a weekend or holiday, we will get back to you on the next business day.